EU ANTITRUST: HOT TOPICS & NEXT STEPS
JANUARY 24-25, 2022
The protection of competition is currently undergoing a transformation under the pressure
of globalization and the digitization of economic processes. The European Union is proactive
in this field, both in the decision-making of competition cases and in new legislative
proposals, which together provoke professional discussion and fill the pages of scientific
publications as well as the mainstream media.
An international conference, called EU ANTITRUST: HOT TOPICS & NEXT STEPS, organized by
the Faculty of Law of Charles University in Prague also wants to contribute to this discussion
and the transformation processes. The opening speech at this conference was kindly
promised by Mrs. Margrethe Vestager, the Executive Vice-President and the Commissioner
for Competition of the European Commission. Scholars, researchers, Ph.D. students, lawyers, regulators,
and commentators from all over the world are kindly invited to take part in this event and
contribute with their papers and ideas to its successful outcome.
Thematic focus of the conference:
- Impact of digitization, globalization, pandemics and other major trends and developments on EU antitrust,
its goals, doctrine, ties to other policies and areas of law, theories of harm, key definitions etc.
- Adaptation of existing EU antitrust rules, adoption of new tools, standards and methods to cope with current challenges.
- Efficiency of antitrust enforcement, role and powers of competition authorities and
courts at EU and national levels, protection of fundamental rights and principles of law.
Margrethe Vestager, the Executive Vice-President and the Commissioner for Competition of
the European Commission.
VIP panel participants:
Jan M. Passer, Judge at the Court of Justice of the European Union
David Petrlík, Judge at the General Court of the European Union
Recent developments in EU antitrust case law: New technologies facing traditional principles
Agustin Reyna, Director, Legal and Economic Affairs, BEUC Brussels
How to ensure consumers get a fair share of the benefits of the digital economy?
Petr Mlsna, Chairman of the Czech Office for the Protection of Competition, Minister and
Chairman of the Government Legislative Council (2012-2013), Deputy Minister of Justice
(2013-2014), Deputy Minister of Education (2014-2015), Deputy Minister of the Interior of
the Czech Republic (2015-2020).
Universal competition rules in a globalised, post-covide and green world:
will the explosion of exemptions and protectionism destroy our own competitiveness?
The Law Faculty of Charles University was formed in 1348 as one of four faculties of the
newly established Charles University. Presently, with more than 4500 students, the Faculty
of Law is the largest accredited faculty of law in the Czech Republic. Many Law Faculty
alumni hold prominent positions within the justice system, in central and local
administration, within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in public service and also in private
legal practice and private businesses. The conference is the inaugural event of
Charles University's Cooperatio research programme – research area Law.
Scientific Committee of the conference
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr., PhDr. Marek Antoš, Ph.D., LL.M., Charles University, Czechia
- Prof. JUDr. Josef Bejček, CSc., Masaryk University, Czechia
- Prof. JUDr. Martin Boháček, CSc., University of Economics, Czechia
- Prof. JUDr. Milan Damohorský , DrSc., Charles University, Czechia
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr., Rastislav Funta, Ph.D., LL.M., Danubius University, Slovakia
- Prof. Hana Horak, PhD., University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Univ.-Lekt. Dr. Peter Thyri, University of Vienna, Austria
- Prof. JUDr. Martin Kopecký, CSc., Charles University, Czechia
- Assoc. Prof. Kathryn McMahon, LLB, BEc, LLM, PhD., University of Warwick, UK
- Prof. JUDr. Ján Mazák, PhD., Pavol Jozef Šafárik University, Slovakia
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Daniel Patěk, Ph.D., Charles University, Czechia
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Michal Petr, Ph.D., Palacký University, Czechia
- Prof. Dr. hab. Anna Piszcz, University of Bialystok, Poland
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Václav Šmejkal, Ph.D., Charles University, Czechia
- Prof. JUDr. PhDr. Michal Tomášek, DrSc., Charles University, Czechia